Over the holidays many children would have been set the homework to learn to read the high frequency words… here are five fun ways we have practiced reading them:
- Reading books together and seeing which ones we can spot
- Matching pairs (using two sets of word flashcards – read as you turn over)
- Find the word (we’ve printed a sheet with them the words on in a wall arrangement and coloured the bricks)
- Fishing (a paper clip added to the word flashcard and a magnet on a string for a rod) – read the word when you pull it out)
- Quick reading lists – list ten-twenty of the words in a list, how fast can you read them all correctly
How have you been practicing these words?