Toys and games are a great way of introducing concepts to children and can help get them excited by letters and reading. Here are our top 10 toys for encouraging literacy:
- Alphabet Bean Bags – £16.95 – This set of 26 bean bags (approximately 7cm square) are great for helping children learn the alphabet and ideal for playing a wide range of early literacy, letter and phonics games.
- Alphabet Lotto – £9.25 – This Orchard Toys lotto game is a fun way to learn the the letters of the alphabet in this fun lotto game! The set contains five double sided lotto boards – one with pictures and one with the initial sounds, plus sets of letter cards and sound cards so you can mix and match – pictures to pictures, letters to letters, pictures to sounds and sounds to pictures – or any combination between players making it a great game for a differentiated phonics activity.
- Wipe Clean a-z letters board – £5.99 – A sturdy whiteboard with pre-printed dashed letters to trace to help children learn to write the letters of the alphabet. Made a mistake – not problem wipe it off and start again.
- Magnetic a-z letters – £4.99 – A set of chunky magnetic letters for children to play with to develop letter recognition and to start learning to spell and read by building and decoding simple words – ideal for playing with on the fridge.
- Pass the Word – £9.50 – This fast-moving Orchard Toys game to use to learn to spell words and develop literacy skills. Race against the timer to put together a word, but try to be quick as when the time runs out the letters have to be passed on to the next player. Also could be used individually to practice phonics and spelling.
- Articulation Bag – £40.00 – A set contains 50 colourful and detailed felt motifs representing a wide range of ‘sounds’ designed specially for practicing initial, medial (middle) and final sounds. A wonderful quality range of items of interest, very tactile and appealing, excellent for opening discussion, communication and useful tools for speech and language therapy, tasks and skills.
- My First Alphabet Magnetic Chart – £15.00 – This great resource for teaching letters includes a magnetic printed board with 26 alphabet picture magnets – match the letters and put them in order.
- Slug in a Jug – £7.25 – This Orchard Toys game has three fun rhyming games in one box – collect rhyming cards and make a silly sentence, play ‘Find the Rhyme’ or ‘Rhyming Pairs’ a great game to help develop phonics skills.
- Nursery Rhyme Finger Puppet Set – £17.99 – This six puppet contains finger puppets representing the main characters from each of these popular nursery rhymes: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Humpty Dumpty, 1,2,3,4,5 Once I Caught a Fish Alive, Hickory Dickory Dock and Incy Wincy Spider and a song card to encourage the learning of nursery rhymes.
- Flashcards – £7.00 – A lovely set of Orchard Toys flashcards containing 50 large bright pictures and words (one side of the card has the word and picture and the other just the word) to help young children develop early reading and number skills.