This weekend there are lots of firework parties ahead of bonfire night on Monday, don’t forget that if you are planning fireworks to enjoy them safely by following the firework code:
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Light all fireworks at arms length
- Stand well back
- Never go back to a lit firework
- Never put fireworks in your pocket
- Never throw fireworks
- Keep Pets indoors for more on pets and fireworks
Also remember that fireworks are not to be handled by children and sparklers should not be handled by children under five. If you are using sparklers with your children rmemeber:
- Always light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
- Never hold a baby or child if you have a sparkler in your hand.
- Put finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out. They can stay hot for a long time.
- Don’t take sparklers to public displays. It will be too crowded to use them
- Always supervise children using sparklers.
- Avoid dressing children in loose clothes – they may catch light.
- Show children how to hold sparklers – away from their body and at arm’s
- Teach children not to wave sparklers near anyone else and to stand still whilst holding them.
The Keeping Healthy, Staying Safe DVD contains an episode about Daisy and Mikey’s fireworks party – you can see 4 year old Daisy and Mikey choose their fireworks and prepare their party safely with Fireman Tony before enjoying their display. This week you can save 25% off the price of this DVD.
You might also like this firework song to celebrate bonfire night and last year’s post that has some bonfire night cookery ideas and another firework song plus the Remember, remember rhyme.